Lost Password

Four die in Karachi fuel station blast


At least four people were dead and six, including two women, injured on Friday when an explosion ‘triggered by short circuiting’ occurred in a fuel station in Karachi’s Nazimabad area.
The sound of the blast at the electrical room of the fuel station was heard far away and its impact felt in the vicinity, spreading panic in the area.
Contingents of security, fire brigade and rescue officials rushed to the scene soon after, which is near the Matric Board Office in North Nazimabad Block A.
Read more: Blast at railway track closely misses Lahore-bound train
According to police, three people died on the spot as a result of the explosion while another lost his life on way to hospital. Six injured persons are under treatment.
One of the deceased was identified as Sultan Imran, 55, who is said to be the security guard of a bus service. Police added that the identity of the other three could not be ascertained immediately.
The injured persons include Alia, 45, wife of Humayun; Harira, 22, wife of Waqar; Abdul Waheed, 30, son of Mumtaz Ali; Sohail Ishaq, 35; Abid, 26, son of Khair Muhammad; and Waqar Saeed, 26.
Police said condition of two of the injured was critical.
On receiving the blast update, DIG West Nasir Aftab and SSP Central Ghulam Murtaza Tabassum also reached the site of the incident.
“As per initial investigation, the blast occurred in the electrical room of the CNG station and petrol pump,” DIG Aftab told reporters.
Also read: Passer-by among two killed in boiler blast
He said the explosion was so powerful that the wall blew up and a glass door shattered. “However, no evidence was found to suggest it was an act of terrorism,” he said, adding that the bomb disposal squad was conducting its investigation.
The DIG West added that more facts would come to light once evidence was gathered.
Talking to reporters, Bomb Disposal Squad West Zone In-charge Abid Farooq said no evidence was found to suggest a gas cylinder had burst.
The electrical room was closed that may have contained gas pressure, he said, adding that the blast might have occurred because of gas pressure.
“No evidence was found regarding ball bearing or hand grenade either,” Farooq said.
In a detailed conversation with reporters, he stressed the explosion was not a cylinder blast.
“Cylinders are safe and accounted for,” Farooq said, adding that the electrical room was completely closed. “There was no way out of the electrical room,” he said, “An old air-conditioner was attached in the room…often an AC’s line leaks. Its gas is also stored in the room.”
He added that an electrical panel was attached in the room, which had a short circuit. The blast happened because of the gas pressure, the BDS in-charge said.
“It’s possible that there was a gas leak in the room and an explosion occurred due to a short circuit,” Farooq said.

Share This Post

Like This Post


Related Posts


    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Thanks for submitting your rating!
    Please give a rating.

    Thanks for submitting your comment!